Brodey is a high school student. He started to work with Dr. Zhang from June of 2020 for a renewable energy project. With Brodey’s hard work for several months, his project, titled ” Creating a smaller and more portable vertical axis wind turbine to increase the usage and accessibility of wind energy harvesting devices” won one fair medal and six awards in recent 2021 Connecticut Science & Engineering Fair.
The awards include: Lockheed Martin Physical Sciences Awards — Finalist; American Meteorological Society Award; Constellation, an Exelon Company High School Award For Excellence in clean renewable / sustainable energy 1st Place; CT Architecture Foundation – The William M. Mack, AIA Award; MIT Club of Hartford K-12 Initiative Award For excellence in science & technology of energy related research, high school; Frank J. Link Family Award for Energy Related Research; Connecticut Invention Convention “Next Step Inventors” . The details can be found here.
Congratulations to Brodey for his excellent work! Looking forward to seeing his new development and achievement in the future!
New paper “Evaluation of Ride Comfort and Driving Safety for Moving Vehicles on Slender Coastal Bridges” accepted in ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics . Stay tune. Paper on-line soon. Check our other publications at https://dm2l.uconn.edu/publications/
Hao’s new paper “Microstructure-sensitive Estimation of Small Fatigue Crack Growth in Bridge Steel Welds” gets accepted in International Journal of Fatigue. Stay tune. Paper on-line soon. Check our other publications at https://dm2l.uconn.edu/publications/
This semester, our group has participated the following conferences and made 9 presentations in the following conferences.
- 2017 AIAA conference;
- NASCC: the Steel Conference;
- 2017 ASCE Structural Congress;
- 2017 Americas Conference on Wind Engineering;
- 2017 ASCE EMI conference;
Details of the presentations and/or full papers and be found at publications.
- Jin Zhu’s poster was selected as one of the two posters to represent Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering forward to the SOE competition in 2nd Annual Graduate Poster competition. The poster was posted on Feb. 25th, 2016 at Student Union 304.
- Jin Zhu was selected to recieve GE Graduate Fellowship in the year of 2016.
- Jin Zhu was awarded with BBAA Travel Fellowship for the 8th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Applications, which was held in Northeaster University at Boston, Massachusetts, USA in June 7-11, 2016.
- Xuan Li and Di Wu joined our group for their Ph.D. and Master degree from Spring 2016.
- Dr. Huawei Niu from Hunan University joined our group in March 2016.
- Two papers are recently accepted in Engineering Structures, details are here.
- Dr. Zhang now is affiliated with UTC Institute for Advanced System Engineering. Dr. Zhang’s webpage in UTC-IASE is here.
Launching the new website!